new rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by follyfoot, Jan 25, 2017.

1. follyfoot

follyfoot New Egg

Jul 1, 2016
    we have just purchased a new rooster, how would i go about introducing him to the flock? im a little nervous since we already have one but we have almost thirty hens for one rooster and our original cant handle them all. we used to have another one but a hawk got him sadly, so our roo has been with other roosters before. what do i do? any advice for me?

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Let me start by saying, I've never had a rooster before but I would guess you'd introduce him to the existing flock as you would any other new bird...isolation first to be sure he won't pass a sickness or pest on to your other birds, then a period where they can all see each other without the newcomer being attacked.

Hopefully another greeter will come along that has had roos and can be of more help.

"Managing Your Flock" is the title of the forum where you could get some answers too...just use the search feature and you should find it.

Best of luck to you!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I see you have posted in the managing flock section and would agree with the advice there. Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under follyfoot [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear that your lost your boy to a Hawk [​IMG]

I hope that you were able to get some assistance on the Flock Management Forum and integration goes well.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    With that many hens, you could really use 2 more roosters. At any rate I think people just start a new flock rather than trying to blend another rooster into the mix. One flock would be your rooster and 15 of the hens, and a second flock with new rooster and the other l5 hens.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, follyfoot, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like you've already received some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! Good luck with the rooster intro!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by