new rooster

rockabilly7

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Florida panhandle
my mom works at an animal shelter and since it is zoned as county and my house is zoned as city i have to keep my chickens up there well this weekend i heard crowing from my coop.....someone had stuck a golden old english bantam rooster ( a big one too) in with my chickens i want to keep him he is friendly but i have no idea how to care for a rooster. Is he going to become aggressive towards me when my hens start to lay??? Will he attack my chicks??? i have no idea im rooster ignorant can someone please help???

If he is friendly and can be picked up and handled he should be fine. Caring for him will be not different than you hens.
If you take time with the rooster he should stay friendly even when he becomes of mating age.

If you have baby chicks they need to be seperate from the rest till they are the same size as everyone else. This will keep the babies form being pecked.

If he is friendly now he should be when the hens start laying.He may peck at a couple to establish the pecking order,but if you haven't seen this yet then they probably already did it.

Back
Top Bottom