new rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by petaddict, Jan 10, 2010.

1. petaddict

petaddict New Egg

Mar 15, 2009
    I have 2 roosters. One of them I've had since March and he has 10 hens in his harem. The other one was recently acquired and has 2 hens that came with him. The first one is not very nice and I'm considering getting rid of him [​IMG] Would the other hens accept the new rooster once the other one is gone?

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    As long as he is mature enough. If he does not stand up to them then he will be the one to get chased. [​IMG] Some of my hens will try to fight a new rooster and if he does not hit them hard enough or gives up then of course he lost. I know it sounds bad but that's how chickens do it. Most of the time though the new rooster crows, struts, and just looks dominate so the hens don't even try it.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The original hens may make a fuss and refuse to follow his leadership for awhile, but once they figure out he's the only roo in "town", they'll cave in.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:It's the circle of life.....

5. petaddict

petaddict New Egg

Mar 15, 2009
    Good, that's what I was hoping would happen. He seems so mild mannered and he's about the same age as the other one. Maybe it's just because he's the new kid on the block. It's been about 3 weeks that he's been here. I think Puck's (the first rooster) days are numbered. If only they knew that when they jumped on us.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Oh yeah if the first rooster's days are numbered then the hens will have to say yes to the new one. He should strut his stuff with roo one gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by