1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenjim64, Sep 29, 2010.

1. chickenjim64

chickenjim64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Victor,Montana
    I just got a new Rooster, and my girls are ignoring him he's dancing and strutting all over but they don't care ther about a year and half old never been around a Rooser before, do you think they will except him?

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    HI. They will accept him. ( He will make sure of it, especially if he's bigger.)

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It's always so funny watching a young rooster trying so hard. They'll get used to him and start to like the food call in awhile. It sounds like a good start.

4. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    My hens were a year old when I introduced a rooster to them. It was at night and they were sleeping on the perch when I put him in the coop. He made a noise and they all perked right up, craning their heads around with a look on their faces like: That is one UGLY hen! One of my hens took to him right away and they were a pair. The other hens barely tolerated him. I don't know of many hens who are enthusiastic about roosters, so I wouldn't worry about it, as long as he's not a meanie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by