new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by janed, May 30, 2011.

1. janed

janed New Egg

Mar 25, 2010
    i am introducing a new man to my flock. There is no other rooster. What is the best way to introduce him?? just put him in with the girls? keep him separate but visible for a while - how long?? what sort of conflict should I expect? I got rid of a mean roo but determined that the flock seemed to need the dominant figure.

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I have this same situation, same question. Won't be introducing until early fall, tho'. So I am interested also in what people have to offer [​IMG]
    and [​IMG] !

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would quarantine him for a month to make sure he's healthy. Then simply add him to the flock. If you free range let him out when the girls are out. That's what I did & it was all good.

4. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    Quote:x2, If you do not free range. Intoduce him after the girls have gone to roost for the night.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    a roo will take care of himself. Not to worry.

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I agree, he'll take care of himself and the hens!

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I am not that experienced, so perhaps you shouldn't listen to me. I brought home a little guy one evening and the girls gave him the evil eye. I took him back to the store and got the BIG expensive rooster. Being totally ignorant, I just let him out of the box in the open yard and he followed me around -- very full of himself. There was no problem with the girls. In retrospect I should have separated him to ensure he was healthy but I knew the person I bought him from.
    In sum, I just let him out and they all worked it out for themselves. No problems of any sort -- including him running off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by