new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bensteph821, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Hi! Im new to this forum and to chicken raising. I got 12 hens around april 8 2011. Their coop is in half of a shed with a pen that is about 25x25. We just brought home a new rooster a few hours ago who is about 4 months old. He's not adjusting very well. Was out and about for awhile and seemed ok for a little while then kept Trying to get out (we had his wings cut ) now for about two hours every time we checked on home he was in the corner of the coop. Very quiet. Very sad looking. Did we do something wrong? ? Any suggestions? I keep.hearing you should introduce slowly but these are baby chicks Still who bow down to him and give him no stress. I am concerned. [​IMG]

2. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Maybe if there is a way you could fence off a small portion of the pen just for him? Then he could get used to the girls form a safe place and gradually become part of the flock.

3. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    He may just be feeling a little intimidated and overwhelmed by his new surroundings. When I first let my flock out into their run (they had lived in the coop for about 10 days), only 4 ventured out the first day. Most had ventured forth by the next evening, but I had 2 girls that refused to go outside until day 3, and 1 that took 4 days to venture forth. I think if she had been able to convince someone else to stay inside with her, she'd still be there!

4. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Thank you for your replies. I just saw That I had them. Guess this isn't like fb Where it alerts you! Anyways he flew away got hit by a car and lived through it:/ he now lives across the street in a corn field And we can't catch him. Since then we've gotten several more roos and hens...all doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by