New Rooster!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NamahKatana, Apr 5, 2012.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    I finally have a rooster! He's a RIR/Columbian Rock/Old English Bantam Mix and about 3 yrs old. I have a few questions. How long should I wait before the eggs are fertile? Any suggestions on how to get my hens to go broody?

PICS

Just home
    [​IMG]

Checkin out the yard

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    He's so pretty! Congrats. I would say maybe two weeks for fertile eggs. It could be sooner, but that might give your hens time to get used to him so that he can mate with them successfully.

Unfortunately, you can't make a hen go broody. It's one of those "hormonal" things that just comes over a hen. We can't start it or stop it. It just happens. Certain breeds are more broody than others.

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    how is he acting with the hens? how are the hens acting towards him? i've never had a rooster (well, not in my adult life anyway). i know if you introduce one new hen to an established flock that it's hard on the new hen. is it different with a roo? he's beautiful! i sure wish i could have a roo! congrats!

4. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    This is my first Roo. They've been establishing their order but seem to be getting along fine.

5. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Wow! What a nice looking rooster! Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    What a gorgeous roo. Congrats!

7. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you =)

THank you. My little brother wants to hold him so bad but He's still pretty skittish and stressed from the move. Hopefully I can get him to come and be calmer.

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

What a pretty boy! Congrats! [​IMG]

9. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks =) I can't wait to see what kinda babies he makes with my girls. I have a black astralorp(i think), a barred rock, a barred rock mix, and a red sex link(what I was told on here) that are actually laying. Will deffinatly post baby pics when they come [​IMG]

10. broodysilkies!?!

broodysilkies!?! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    North Florida
    the best thing you can do to make a chicken go broody is take some fake eggs (or golfballs will stand in) and then move the nesting area into a quiet dark corner and in no time you will find your self a nice broody hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by