New Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aafairchild, Aug 6, 2014.

1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi All,

I have been around a lot and had chickens for a couple of years now. I looked to no avail. I want to expand my little flock of 16 ladies and feel I need to obtain a 2nd rooster in order to service them all. Yes I am trying to hatch a few of my own. Current rooster is a white Plymouth Rock. Good to girls mean to anything else. Any suggestions on a breed that might work well with the Foghorn and also how to integrate them without major injuries. I know they will scuffle some but I don't want any serious hurts. I was thinking a slightly smaller breed. I just don't think Fog can handle any more girls than he currently services. I would by the rooster as a chick with some girls to grow up with. No chance am I bringing in an adult. That would be a disaster. I have had other roosters but they were culled fairly young. I have not tried to make another 1 part of the flock.

Thanks
    Alice

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi Alice! I've done this several times and not had problems (although that's just my experience). I'd say that as long as you get the new guy integrated in before he's fully grown that you'll have minimal problems. I usually start mixing around 12 weeks and had the little guys running around within the run - in their own fence - for several weeks before that. Lots and lots of space makes things easier with roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by