New rooster

NeeCee51

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Hello everyone. Have a question about introducing a new rooster to my current three hens. I have three light Sussex hens and have wanted a light Sussex rooster so the place I got the hens had a rooster about the same age as the hens. I thought it was a win win situation but the hens don't like him. He has tried to get close to them but they chase him away. I am hoping when he gets a little older he will stick up for himself. I feel sorry for him that they don't want him around and wish there was something I could do. I know they have a mind of their own but I still feel sorry for him. They do sleep in the same coop but I'm not sure how that goes at night. should I just let things play out? Thanks

i would let things just play out naturally unless the girls begin injuring him. It usually works out, but i would keep an eye on them. As he gets more mature his will probably start taking the role as top dog (or chicken in this case
old.gif
:) hope it all works out for you!!!

Thanks so much, I will do that. They sort of peck at him but he is pretty quick. I have to admire him, he still follows them around. I think he wants to be friends. Thanks again...

Back
Top Bottom