New rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jkatillery, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jkatillery

jkatillery New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    I just got 9 chickens from my daughter to add to my flock. They all have adjusted nicely except for the 1 rooster. I had 3 roosters alrdy and they are all being very mean to this new to the flock rooster. They run him into a corner and he hides his head or under something. If he comes out they chase him.
    What do I do I feel so sorry for him.

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    How many hens do you have in total?

Generally the accepted ratio is one rooster to every 8 to 10 hens.

Any more than that and you risk over-mating of the hens and in-fighting between the roosters. They will fight to gain the dominant position in the flock, which can eventually lead to injury and even death.

It might well be that you need to consider rehoming one or more of your roosters.

- Krista

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There's really not much you can do. There's no reason for your old roosters to accept the new guy, he's nothing but a threat to their social structure. Unless he decides to assert himself his life will be pretty much hiding and stealth mating. Sounds like you may need to make some management decisions regarding how many males you need to meet your flock goals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by