New roosters...advice for introducing to the girls please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkensunlight, Sep 28, 2012.

1. silkensunlight

silkensunlight Out Of The Brooder

Well, I finally decided to add a rooster to the flock. I have 35 RSL girls. The boys I got are young (20 weeks) buff orpington x RIR. They are gorgeous boys and very big. They have great personalities and so far don't seem to be aggressive. I've been able to handle both of them without any issues. They have been here for a few days in a separate pen from the girls but where everyone can see each other. The girls aren't very happy with having to give up some of their space but I'm hoping to get everyone together soon. Do I have to worry about anybody hurting eachother, either way? The boys are so much bigger than the girls and I kinda worry they might get picked on? Am I worrying for nothing? The girls can be kinda mean to new additions but I don't know how they'll react to a rooster. What should I expect?

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Your only option is letting them all together and see how it turns out. Hopefully they get along together and become a happy family. There might be some minor pecking at first as they all get adjusted to one another. Only time will tell. I hope you had the two roosters in quarantine as far away from your flock as possible for a period of 30 days before letting them around the girls. The 30 day period is for looking for any infections, diseases the roosters may be carrying. Wishing you the best of luck for a happy outcome!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. silkensunlight

silkensunlight Out Of The Brooder

I couldn't do the quarentine on my own property but the roosters are from a friend so we were able to watch them for the last few months. I know it's not quite the same as a total quarentine but it was all we had for the space we had. The boys have been here for about a week and seem to be doing very well in their new surroundings. I'm free ranging them right now and one has totally stayed away from the girls but the other wants to have a total beat down of everyone. I know it's pecking order stuff but the boys will be going to bed alone tonight LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by