1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New run and how many can one roo service?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catsmithpuddin, May 15, 2011.

1. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    OK I am building a 30x30 chicken yard and new coop. I have 1 americauna rooster and there are gonna be 28 hens in there with him. (14 americauna, and the rest a few of 4 other breeds. Was wondering If he can keep that many fertile? I did not want rooster fights going on. but want to make sure my americaunas are hatchable.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your fertility rate wont be 100% with that many hens for him to service. The most I've seen a rooster cover is 20 hens and many people keep the ratio closer to 1 rooster per 10 to 15 hens. Being such a large run with so many hens you shouldn't have much fighting with 2 roosters.

3. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    I also plan to have a jungle gym setup (pallet houses etc) in there for hiding places. I may try to find a different gene pool roo to help him out. My poor little cochin roo can't reach the girls. That is one frustrated short legged roo. LOL. Gonna find him some cochin hens to herd.

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I have read 1 roo per 8-9 hens..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by