New run completed, suggestions for floor ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kiwiheather, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Ok, I have two babies eager to get into their run, literally, just finished the walls, door, roof and floor. All in hardware cloth! Hoping to set up tomorrow, we live in south fl and it's racoony and rainy! I opted for a pine floor in the 4x8 run deck style with drainage. This way it can be elevated, and predator proof! What sort of bedding should I use??? Sand, shavings? Linoleum? Will be buying tomorrow so any aside is welcome:). 1st tine chick mamma wanna give them the best! Thanks!!!

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Wow... wood floor in run! (Did you leave a hole in the middle for dust bathing? [​IMG] ) Actually, you might want to get a large rubber tub & fill it with sand/ash/earth mixture for dust-bathing. Chickens find it a necessity & it's delightful to watch! I would tend to say sand on a dirt or concrete run floor. But wood... I think maybe I'd go with pine (not cedar) shavings. More absorbent for moisture that leaks through to floor.... Lineoleum is too slick.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I love sand! But unless you laid down a vinyl first, it seems like it'd leak through a decking-like floor???? Sand is oh-so-easy to clean/maintain [​IMG]

4. Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Quote:There is no hole in the middle, I am terrified of something getting to them... I was thinking about doing some sand on one side then shavings on the other... I have trees in there for perches and bought a tarp to go over the hardware cloth roof to keep rain out so it should stay dry! I will try and post pics tomorrow after I get it set up to get expert input!![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by