New Run - How do I fence in the "roof" very inexpensively?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happyhensny, Mar 23, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I will have 2 runs sharing a common fence. One run is 6 x 10 and the other will be 20 x 20. The smaller one is really not a problem as it is small and currently, I have fencing buried around the edge of the chain link dog kennel and a metal roof on it. The bigger one though is tricky. I am hoping for predator proof so I would be able to leave the pop door open at night. How can I span the 20 ft.? I do have some wire fencing available, enough that it will cover the whole roof. Support? Wire the edges of the 4 ft fencing together? Also, the larger pen will be made of chain link dog kennel panels. Thank you so much for any help!!

2. Lady Lavendar

Lady Lavendar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    I used PVC. 3/4 pipe cut into 4' sections and then put together in a square lattice with PVC "four way" cross pieces and 90 degree angle pieces for the corners. Flux then glue everything together Then put your wire over that and strap everything down with cable ties. Makes for a secure top that doesn't sag. I have two 10x10 pens that I use for my chickens.
    Hope this is helpful.

With kind regards,
    Katrina

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Thanks Katrina! DH is about done with me making things bigger. More chicks more fun!!

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Thank you Katrina as well. I'm going to be using a 12' wide dog kennel.

Could you attach pictures of your top?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by