New run sandbox

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teach1rusl, Jul 29, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Spent the morning shoveling sand into the girls' new sandbox. Thanks to the dry summer and the STUPID moles, that area of the run was starting to look pretty rough anyway (the girls had started digging where moles had pushed dirt up), so I figured we might as well go with the flow. It's about 5 x 8, and they spent the morning digging in to stay cool. [​IMG] It's just 2x6's for the frame filled with some pea gravel and construction sand...landscape fabric at the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    wow, looks like those that aren't scared of it just love it! [​IMG]

3. kgend912

kgend912 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Plainfield
    That is really neat! (taking notes for new run...)

We put our existing small tractor over where the previous owners had a playhouse/sandbox...the girls have dug up all the sand that had been buried in the dirt. They love it.

4. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    why is important to put landscaping paper down? I read this somewhere else too.

5. teach1rusl

Quote:Well, I did it for two reasons: 1) to delay weeds/grass growing up through it and 2) to help retain the sand - to level the boards I had to dig down a bit in some places, but in other places there may be 1/4 inch gaps, so tacking the fabric along the boards helps hold it.
    I'm not sure that it's important to do it, and I actually considered not laying it [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. Cherry Bird

Cherry Bird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    Happy ladies!

7. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Quote:x2!

As the ground freezes/thaws it will eventually 'eat' the landscaping stones and sand. The landscaping fabric will #1 keep weeds from growing up, #2 keep the ground from eating the sand, #3 keep the ladies from digging to china!

8. ButtersMama

Feb 28, 2011
    Quote:to help retain the sand

Well, I put a few bags in yesterday and they already have it dug up and it is now mixed with dirt. So, the paper is probably best. [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

Quote:to help retain the sand

Well, I put a few bags in yesterday and they already have it dug up and it is now mixed with dirt. So, the paper is probably best. [​IMG]

You know, for future reference, if you have a truck or know someone who has one, you should really consider buying it by the scoop (ton/half-ton). You get so much more for your money. I got a little less than a ton of sand for about $13. I don't want to know what it would have cost me to fill my sandbox by the bag. I had sand left over the way it was...

10. ButtersMama

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks Teach. I'll remember that.
    I looked at your BYC page. Your coop and run are so beautiful!! I love the picture of the hen on the dogs back....so precious!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by