1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New runner ducklings- concerned

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TeamChaos, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I have two runner ducklings, both are about two weeks old. They live with two toulouse goslings the same age. They eat unmedicated crumbles and lots and lots of fresh greens and have access to water at all times. Both of the runner ducks have very full "crop" areas and one is doing a yawing maneuver rather frequently. Is this normal duckling behavior? Thanks.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    To me they just sound like they are gorging themselves when you feed them. The mouth opening thing is what I see mine doing when they are trying to get food down.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Do they have access to grit? If they're being fed greens, they need grit to digest it (the crumbles are crop-ready and don't need grit). Try adding a little sand in a dish, or let them outside to forage for an hour or two a day where they have access to dirt and can dig up their own grit. This may help.

Nothing you describe sounds alarming, but the mention of greens did make me think of grit. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do they have access to food all the time or just certain feeding times? I agree with both Duckyfromoz and iamcuriositycat about possibilities.

When mine overeat they do the open mouth, stretch neck thing, but that usually happens if they've run low on feed, then I refill the bowl.

Also, it just happens sometimes when they forage -- eat a really big, whopper snail, or toss down a small hickory nut or acorn.

Good to keep an eye on them - I am told ducks can sometimes choke.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Good points, Amiga. At this age, they really should have non-stop access to feed. If they're getting hungry in between feedings, it may cause them to gorge themselves too quickly and make it hard to swallow well.

Good luck, and update us!

6. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    They have dry food all the time and greens as regularly as I can supply it! Ha ha, seriously I am constantly sticking greens in the food processor to replenish their snacks. They have chick grit in with them, is that acceptable? Thanks for the help!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You are probably doing fine - have you seen them actually eat the grit? I used to put a tiny pinch on top of their food to make sure they would get some - just did that until they were outside more often. I occasionally toss a few tablespoons of chick grit in with their food, but the oyster shell free choice is gritty, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by