New runner ducks on the way :D

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdcrazy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I got 20 runner duck eggs today!!! (well, didn't mean to get so many) and I've put them under my broody muscovy girl [​IMG]
    She's been sitting on an empty nest for about 3 weeks and I've finally managed to hunt down some eggs she can occupy herself with since she will not give up on the nest idea [​IMG]
    I'm soooo excited!!!!!! I was told they are brown and white - spotty, stripy and everything imbetween which should be exciting [​IMG]
    How long is the incubation perdiod for runner ducks? And they make good pets?
    I'm planning on giving some to friends, aswell.
    And what should I look for when picking the right eggs to for Charlotte (broody duck)? I don't really want to give her all of them, so might take some away. Don't want to make it too difficult for her...

Would love to see pics of your runner ducks too [​IMG] (have never had runner ducks before)

2. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    runner ducks are my absolute FAVORITE ducks! i love them so much! i was able to get my hands on one runner egg and she is a BEAUT! she is by far the friendliest and she is in love with me! Lol, they are greatttttttttt ducks! the incubation period should be 28 days a normal amount! they sound like they will be beautiful! and as far as i know.... theres no real way of "picking" better eggs lol but thats just me!

a baby:
    [​IMG]

an adult:
    [​IMG]

3. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    She is beauuuuutiful!!!!! Very cuute!!! [​IMG]
    Love her dark colouring, not sure if the ones I have are going to be light brown or dark
    Yeah runner ducks sound really good so this is gonna be the longest 28 days of my life haha [​IMG]
    And I was just told don't go for small/dirty eggs but I'm not sure if thats correct or not so was just gonna ask, although I don't think it really matters

Gorgeous girl you have!!!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If your scovie has already been sititng for 3 weeks- make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. With a further 4 weeks to go - time sitting may really take its toll on her. Before you put the eggs under her- I few things to consider because of the very long stretch at sitting. Where is she currently nesting- Is she in a shaded area? Being that we are heading into summer now- Make sure she has shelter. Ducks have died on the nest when left in the sun. If you can leave food and water where she can actually reach it without leaving the nest- she may be encouraged to eat more. Powdered Vitamins in the water would also be a good idea if you have any.

If she doesnt leave the nest on her own each day, make sure you take her off so she will walk around a while, eat and drink.

Pick for size- try to set only ones the same size under her. Also look for if any have any irregular bumps - you can also candle them before you put them under and set the ones with the smallest air cell. They will be the freshest ones. If any are particularly dirty or stained try not to use them either.

Best of luck with those eggs- 7 weeks is a long time for her to be sitting- but with proper care and management- she should be ok.

5. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Yeah I did talk about whether or not it would be okay for her to go for longer, but she's stubborn about her nest as it is. Her nest is slightly of the ground and completely shaded (its kind of in a patio area with a roof overhead), I've also got permanent water and food bowls attatched to the sides of her nest and a pond a few meters away. She's got a pretty cozy set up and everyday I take her favourite treats out to her because she is spoilt [​IMG]
    When she first went broody I tried to keep her off the nest, since there was no eggs and it was wasting her time but she'd just make another nest to go broody on so I decided to go find her some eggs instead, which have just come a bit late. If it looks like its a bit much for her though I will try taking her off it or move her into a duck pen.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sounds like she will do OK..If she was willing to sit on an empty nest she will likely keep going. I have just tried to move some nests and cover others in case mine do go broody as I dont want them sitting out in the sun all day.

Runner babies are just gorgeous, It sounds like you will get an interesting mix of colours and patterns from those eggs. And just before Christmas too!!

7. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Yes very excited, plus holidays soon and exams ect over I will have time to my ducks [​IMG]
    Looking forward to colour, since every other duck I have is white!!
    The almost-summer heat hasn't really hit over here yet, but can tell its on the way, so deffinitely keeping the nests in ideal areas [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My own daughter is not looking forward to the holidays. She is finishing year nine this year- so no exams. I am so used to hatching the same coloured ducklings- we are going to hatch some chickens now for something different. My daughter wants something other than ducks for next years show season.

And just since you asked for photos... I better add some of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are such adorable babies.

9. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    They are adorable!! Ducklings are so very cute [​IMG]
    Very gorgeous runners you have!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by