New Russian dwarf hamsters help-

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farming Frenzy, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Hello everyone :)
    3 days ago I bought 2 dwarf russian hamsters. After some uneasy checkinf I found they are both males. They are fine because they were 4 in a cage at the petstore, and they get along very well ( snugglz up together :3) . I have named them caramel and coco. Caramel is very, very active and is almost on his wheel every minute. Coco, however, sits and sleeps up in the tubes or in his hidey house. He only comes out to eat. I know they are nodturnal, but the other one is soooo active compared to coco.Is this normal? Also, caramel lets me pick him up with no problem, he even comes into my hands if I put them in the cage. Hes so sweet. But, coco bites me if i touch him. I have let him sniff me, but he sniffs and then bites. I can' t even change the food if he is sleeping inside the food bowl. Now i only pick him up with a cup if im cleaning the cage. Can anyone help?? I think maybe its just because he is new still? But caramel has adapted well and is so cute? Please help, i really want him to like me :(

2. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Here are some photos of them
    Coco is the agouti/grey and caramel is the light brown one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Songster

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    There could be any number of reasons why Coco is the way he is. Because he came from a pet store, there's no way to really know how old he is or where he came from prior to being at the pet store. He may keep to himself because he is older, maybe he was mishandled before you brought him home and that he learned to be wary of people or maybe he wasn't handled at all. Maybe he is ill or stressed from changes in his envornment.

I can tell you that they are a prey animal and to him, your hand is a giant and scary predator about to eat him. His instincts are to defend himself. If you think he could be ill, perhaps a vet visit should be on the agenda. If he's just not used to being handled or was mishandled, start slowly and try to earn his trust. Spend time just observing him, talking to him in a calm tone, try hand feeding him treats but let him come to you...not the other way around...get him to associate you with positive things and hopefully he'll come around.

But sometimes hamsters just aren't friendly.
    Good luck!

4. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Thank you!! Im not sure if he is ill, he eats and drinks, looks healthy but just sleeps LOTS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: