New scared chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by avoight, Jan 26, 2011.

1. avoight

avoight Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Saint Michael MN
    I just added 4 new chickens that I purchased off of CL, they seem VERY scared of people, any suggestions to get them to be like my other babies who come up to me to get held? I know I should hold them BUT how do it when they want to peck me and run away?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think someone else on here once said that the best way to a chicken's heart is treats, and it has been very true for all my new chickens. If you spend time with them and give them treats and maybe even follow them around a bit and help them find goodys in the yard you will have them by your side in no time!
    Oh and I forgot [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    You might try sitting on the ground with them and holding the treats in your hands in your lap so that they have to come to your lap to get a treat. I have some more info on my BYC page. I don't sell anything; just give taming info...

5. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Quote:That is exactly what I was going to say. That is what we have done with ours and they eventually come around, sometimes it takes a while but the treats eventually win them over. Move slowly and be patient. Good luck!

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:That is exactly what I was going to say. That is what we have done with ours and they eventually come around, sometimes it takes a while but the treats eventually win them over. Move slowly and be patient. Good luck!

I agree! Just be patient, it will happen!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Why? Why "should" you hold them?

If you take decent care of them they will get used to you, but chickens are not like puppies or kittens. I never cuddle or handle chicks and I only pick chickens up if inspection or treatment is needed. Yet all of mine hang around my feet when I let them range. They do get in my lap, they do talk to me, they trust me to feed them and not hurt them unecessarily. But I don't treat them like little people, puppies or kittens. Totally different creatures.

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

When I have added new laying hens I don't force them to like me by grabbing at them or anything. I just sit with them and be there and watch them and they have all grown at ease with me and will take treats from me and now let me hold them.

I agree...just be patient and gentle and let them show their own personalities.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Respectfully, because we want to...

10. avoight

avoight Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Saint Michael MN
    Quote:Respectfully, because we want to...

Agreed [​IMG] I love my Chickens, MUCH more then my puppy lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by