New scenario! Dogs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    It struck me a while back.. If you catch a protected animal attacking/killing your chickens, what do you do? Can you shoot it?
    Or any protected animal killing your animals. I live in cali so let's say a golden eagle was in my yard ripping a young pullet to pieces. I don't think an eagle would do that but there's not a whole lot of mammal choices. So what can ya do?

It's all out of my curiousity. Nothing has been done to a protected animal. I'm going to type this message again cuz I'm not sure how the bold thing works, so I'm going to try it two different ways.

It did not bold in the preview. I shall try this way now.
    Maybe this way? Between the brackets with the b's? Okay I'm satisfied with that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    No.

What you can do and what you should do is build a predator proof pen to keep your chickens safe.

The fine for killing an eagle is 10's of thousands of dollars. It's much cheaper to build a safe coop.

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:And if they're free ranging and it happens? I actually don't need to do anything haha. Plus someone wouldn't have time to build and reinforce their coop if there's something attacking, I mean they'd have time afterwards but it's killing and if it's already doing the deed then you gotta act fast.
    This is a question for anybody who reads this post and what they would do in this scenario. I don't think you caught on..

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    If you catch an eagle or hawk "doing the deed" it wouldn't matter how fast you act. It's over. Nothing you can do.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    On another thread it was mentioned to use the SSS method. Just seems like that one would work.

6. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    What exactly is the "sss" method? AND theoretically you could shoot it with an air soft gun..gets your point across hopefully in time to save a life or at least make it not wanna come back yet you haven't killed it just spooked the thing

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're in a tough spot depending on who witnesses the act especially in CA. Predator birds are always hard to stop because they are so fast and if you do have one on the ground your reflex may cost you dearly if you're seen. You may be forced into only free ranging when you can be out with the birds and building as large a run as you can. Another thing if birds are your concern is set up several covered areas from old sunshades or simply a elevated pallet so they have a shady spot and overhead cover. Also setting up water founts or feeders under the different covers will help the chickens learn where to run and having a good rooster is always a requirement in a predator rich area as he will constantly watch for danger, he is the first one to the fight, he will die for his hens and when he growls, the hens will bolt for cover !

I won't say SSS is the answer [​IMG] that's a personal decision

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:No.. you can not shoot it or touch it in anyway... You would have to contact U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and report it..

by the way.. if they determine that the animal is a protected species the chances of you being reimbursed for your livestock are probably slim to none

9. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    The noise of a gun going off would probably scare it away.

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I would never SSS with an eagle. They're so majestic and beautiful. I've only seen one migrate a couple years back. We get hawks occasionally migrating out here and on the military base I've seen falcons! Such pretty birds.
    Humm, not sure what I would do. Maybe run up to it waving my arms around and making strange noises. It's usually what I do when I see a cat in my yard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by