new 'scovy ladies...ive never seen this colour!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Jan 17, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im guessing the black/white one is a pied? (or black, or black whiteish???)..but what is the other girlies colour? she is so beautiful it was love at first sight....they were bound for the stew pot at my neighbours but i told him id buy them off him as he couldnt eat something so gorgeous!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    also which drake should i put her in with for beautiful babies?..i have a silver(grey? blue?) drake or i have black/white pied ones?

3. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    I have no idea what color the other one is, but i have one identical to her and ther are beautiful. I would put the silver drake with her and the black drake with the black hen

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would love to see ducklings from that pairing spish

5. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    The lighter hen looks to be a barred pied lilac. I'm fairly confidant that she is lilac - barring I'm not so sure about because it is harder to see in adult birds. As they mature, they loose their barring to most lookers - you have to spread their wings to see the patterning on the back. The lighter colors can be hard to tell if they ARE barreds. The blue drake you see to the left of the lilac barred hen BARELY looks barred anymore unless you spread his wings and look as his back.

If she's an adult, you won't know FOR SURE what color she is until she moults out for you. I bought a hen I would've SWORE was a barred fawn - hard to find. When she moulted out she turned out to be a DARK barred blue fawn. [​IMG] Her feathers were so bleached from the sun, she was a nice light tan when I got her.

Here's my pied barred lilac hen when I purchased her as a young hen (the blue drake is barely in the pic to the left)

[​IMG]

Here's my pied barred hen more recently (full adult feathers):

[​IMG]

Here is my blue fawn hen BEFORE she moulted, the day after I got her: (See why I thought she was a regular FAWN???)

[​IMG]

Here's my barred blue fawn hen AFTER she moulted:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:so would i! my silver drake also has a pure white hen with him and a pied hen so hopefully he wont mind one extra [​IMG]

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:according to the guy, shes just been through a moult (he had to re-trim her wings 2 weeks back before she flew off after getting her flight feathers back.

your ducks are beautiful!

8. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    IF she's just been through moult, I'd stay very confidant with the pied barred lilac. [​IMG] Pretty birds!

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    brilliant! now all they need are some names!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Spish i really don't think you have to worry about your drake being upset about getting another female...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by