New Serama hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rednana9, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rednana9

rednana9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I had 15 serama eggs and so far 6 out of the 15 hatched! I was really surprised to get that many. They all hatched on day 22. I also had 18 silkie, sg,cochin and nn but only 1 of those have hatched and that was on day 20. Hope a few more hatch out of those.[​IMG]

2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Congratulations! Sounds like you cracked the code on hatching Serama's!

[​IMG] Here's wishing you good hatching luck on your other eggs! [​IMG]

Deb

3. rednana9

rednana9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I was so afraid none of the seramas would hatch since everyone says they are hard. Oh they were shipped too! I think I just got lucky.lol![​IMG]

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    You know, they really can be hard. Good on you! [​IMG]

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Congrats :) Hope you get some more soon :D

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats! That's a pretty good hatch rate for Seramas [​IMG] Hope you have some more chicks hatching out soon, and remember we love to see pics [​IMG]

7. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    I hatched 8 seramas today. i had 9 eggs. 1 pipped yesterday and made no progress. i took a toothpick and started picking at the shell. this little thing was so stuffed in his shell i was surprised he even pipped. so i hatched him last night before i went to sleep. at that point there was another pip. i went to sleep and at 6 am something woke me up, and the pip from last night had made no progress. i did the toothpick thing but it was so weak, it didnt make it. fully absorbed, just too big to move around. so i started opening these eggs, at the top where the air cell was. ( i used egg cartons) all 8 chicks were still alive and very very weak... i didnt think any of them would live. tonight all 8 are doing good, only one still doesnt lift his head. but they were all like that this morning so i am hopeful. i dont recommend helping usually, but this is my second serama hatch and if they pip, and dont make progress, i help. if there had been blood i would have probably stopped or just took the top off, but there was no blood. they are all moving around pretty good now. i have noticed with "helped" chicks they lay pretty still for a solid day so its hard to keep them at perfect temp...

8. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by