New Serama Rooster- Sounds Congested...Should I Cull ASAP or...what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Larkspur88, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I contacted a breeder from out of state for some seramas where my husband was out. She's a good breeder from everything I could tell (from long distance). Nice woman. Nice birds in photos. My husband just brought home 5 chicks and a a year and a half old rooster a few hours ago. Chicks went straight into my only brooder. The rooster I kept separate. I immediately noticed the rooster is congested sounding. He seems to be acting fine behavioraly, but I guess time will tell for sure. He is crowing his head off from the other side of my garage and my other seramas are trying to decide what to make of his noises.

He's breathing is raspy at times kind of like after I've had a bad cough and I have some phlegm built up. It's pretty noticeable. I am concerned for my other birds though. I only have 23 chickens, but they are obviously an investment I've made. Should I cull him? Should I quarantine and see what happens? What do you think this is?

[​IMG]
    This is him with a lack of feathers. Poor guy lost them all when the ladies daughter went to grab him out the pen this AM. LOL. She sent me a photo yesterday of the same bird though with his tail so he normally has a tail. XD

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well as long as he is already there you might as well quarantine him and think about it. Do you have any Oxine?????? You need to spray Oxine solution in the air and around him and wouldnt hurt for all your birds.

3. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I do not. Should I bring him in the house and away from the garage where I have other chicks or will at this point will it not matter? I will be devastated to lose my seramas over this one bird. Stupid chickens and illnesses.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
  5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If he sounds like his breathing is raspy/rattling he probably has CRD

Treatment: Antibiotics from your vet: Tylan, Baytril, or Gallimycin. Tylan 200 injected into the breast muscle is usually the most effective. Treatment needs to be early on for a greater chance of recovery.

Risk to Human Health: None known.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    and put everyone on vitamines and electrolytes and probiotic powder.

7. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Alright, well good news is...I work for a vet. I can get my hands on baytril. But my vet is not avian so it would take him a while to figure out dosages. Tylan is not something we carry, but I know I can get that here in town. I think I have here at the house corid and neomycin and I put the chick vitamins in the water for the chicks and seramas (since mine are young) in the garage. So I can give some of that for the new roo.

CRD sounds like his condition: Raspy and rattling. Reminds me of a cronic smoker a bit after he crows and stuff. What an idiot bird. I can't blame him though. Not his fault.

8. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    After reading up I'm starting to wonder if I have not already had a mild case of something similar going on. Check out this chick:

[​IMG]

The above chick is not 3 weeks old or even 4.....its's 7 weeks old....7!!!

It's had slow growth. And the scraggily feathers now for a few weeks. Not a bantam. Parents were large fowl mutts. I have another chick hatched the same day and its twice its size. I've been dealing with a case of off and on cocci and figured cocci might be the cause of this issue, but who knows. UGH.

As for the rooster I'm really disheartened. I have tried to keep them virus free as I am breeding seramas. So I think I will be getting rid of this rooster. Not worth keeping. I'm keeping him away from the others. Everyone else is going to be put on medication. But I don't want to be an irresponsible breeder and use him for breeding and have him transmitting (through eggs even after reading through the link possible CRD) ARGH.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  10. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:TYLAN50 ~~ IM. Quarantine as far away as possible. Dosage: .1.0ml [insulin syringe]. 4 days of injections plus pedialyte W/O iron in the water. Keep him separated for 2 weeks. It is possible he got stressed from the drive.
    You are right that it is more than likely CRD. I personally have a roo that has CRD,I went crazy reading and researching and talking to people about what he had and WHY no one else didn't get it. I have done this regime 3 times with him. He is still with me and all my other birdies are just fine. [I think my bird cannot handle the cold weather or stress].
    If this guy has a flare-up now, I bring him in the house to warm-up and only let him out if the weather is above 60 degrees...Well now being summer it is NO problem...... I love this guy so it is worth the hassle. I gab too much too.....[​IMG]

IF the TYLAN50 doesn't knock it out--go to AGRIMYCIN200 same dosage & time.
    Hope that helps.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by