1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Sex-Link Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BrianT, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Okay, I have researched the means and methods for producing black or red sex linked chickens. All research shows that are any number of breeding pairs that will produce sex link offspring. My question is , do they all turn out the same (color wise) and do they all lay, relatively speaking, similar quantities of eggs? Thanks in advance.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No. There can be differences in colors and patterns whether red sex links or black sex links. You can tell sex at hatch, but all different crosses do not produce identical looking chicks. An example, you can use a buff orpington for the gold rooster or you can use a dark red rooster, like a Speckled Sussex or RIR over a silver hen, say a Delaware, for a red sex link. The female chicks will be red, but they will be quite a bit different shade of red at hatch and also after they are grown.

As far as egg laying ability, it depends on the parents. If you cross two chickens that are good egg layers, you will probably get a good egg layer. if you cross two chickens that are not good egg layers, their offspring will probably not be good egg layers. Many people believe that you have to get a sex link to get a good egg layer from the cross. Not true. If you cross a RIR rooster with a Delaware hen, you will get sex link chicks and they will probably be good egg layers. If you cross a Delaware rooster with a RIR hen, the chicks will not be sex links, but the egg laying ability should be the same.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
  4. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Sorry for the double post. SHEESH, the flippin' protocol police on internet forums...

thanks for the link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by