New Sex-Link Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BrianT, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Okay, I have researched the means and methods for producing black or red sex linked chickens. All research shows that are any number of breeding pairs that will produce sex link offspring. My question is , do they all turn out the same (color wise) and do they all lay, relatively speaking, similar quantities of eggs? Thanks in advance.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My black sex links have been laying machines. I had one that didn't miss a day in over 3 months!

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Will the chicks and adults all look alike, regardless of their parent's color and breed? No.

Will they all lay very well like a typical hatchery sexlink, regardless of their parents egg laying characteristics? No.

You are simply crossing certain colors which will make sexlink chicks. They will lay about as well as their parent's breeds. Hatchery sexlinks are bred for high egg production, and that's about it.

Below is a pic of a few of my Black Sexlinks, which are Buff Orpington x Barred Rock. They don't look anything like a hatchery Black Sexlink, which is a cross of Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock. As chicks, they looked different too. They were all dark colored, and the females had gold faces, and the males had white faces. The common Black Sexlink is sexed differently. Males will have a white spot on their heads and females won't.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by