New Shipment of Chicks, one not doing well

stephaniepl205

Chirping
5 Years
May 4, 2015
Hi all,

I just got my shipment of chicks this morning! I ordered 18 rare assortment and all were alive on arrival.
Its been about 3 hours and one seems to not be doing well. It's been a few years since I had chickens and I believe I have tried everything.
She drinks when I touch her face to the water, will not eat, and just huddles up to the heater (EcoBrooder). She is not pasted (I checked). Any other advice? I do realize that losing one in the first 48 hours is sort of common but I want to give her the best chance possible.
Thank you!

Could you try giving her an electrolyte? Maybe some sugary water would punch her back up.. never ordered chicks online or through the mail before though, so I wouldn’t know much about that.. she could be sick or just a weak chick

. Any other advice? I do realize that losing one in the first 48 hours is sort of common but I want to give her the best chance possible.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

That chick cannot possibly digest any food while cold. If it arrived today, then it hatched Monday. If you access to Poultry Nutri Drench... a little in the water is a great boost. I use a drop directly to the beak on any who are obviously struggling like the one you describe. Your electrolyte already has sugar in it... the poultry nutri drench has no electrolytes which help for dehydration but the PND has important amino acids that most packet mixes don't.

Don't worry about eating... crush the feed a little extra into a fine powder.. as this will help some.

But for this chick... let it warm as it was chilled to it's core. Go ahead and do your water thing like every hour until you see some improvement, being extra careful not to make her inhale any of it.

Congrats on your babies, hope this one and all the other thrive! :fl

Thank you! I do not have any nutri drench, but I will leave her be under the heater for another hour and give her more water then.
The others seem to be doing very well!

Back
Top Bottom