New Silkie Babies (pics!)!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TomOBedlam, Jan 4, 2008.

1. TomOBedlam

TomOBedlam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    They're heeeeeeere! I am officially chicken-owned!

We made the long trip out to the home of the Nice Lady from Craigslist last night, and picked up six ADORABLE baby silkies! She had six more left and offered us all of them for only a couple of dollars more, and I was very sorely tempted. But we stuck to our guns, and escaped with only a couple more than planned. I might have caved anyway, but was concerned about running out of brooder space with our layers coming in next week.

They are from two different hatches, a few days apart, and are all between a week and a week and a half old. We got a mix of colours, and some of them have very poofy little heads and toes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little guy looks like he might be a nice light grey if all of his baby spots disappear:

[​IMG]

Large white baby, very friendly:

[​IMG]

It was pretty late so most of her hens were locked up in their coop, but the ones with the chicks in the nursery coop were very pretty; white and buff, and one very light grey, all very fluffy.

Do their little spots usually fade much as they get older? The lady said most of the lighter ones will, and if so it looks like we might have a nice little rainbow from white to partridge.

I don't really much care what colours they turn out, though. I'm just so excited to have my first chickens!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Congrats on your very first babies! [​IMG]

3. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    oh noes!
    those evil silkies got you too!
    it's all over my friend. the evil mind-control will begin shortly.
    just wait until the "bring out the meal-worms human slave" psychic faxes start popping up in your mind.
    it will happen.
    it will.
    [​IMG]
    f. weeble

4. echickenlove

echickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Bella Vista AR
    Oh how cute!!! They are adorable! I bet each and every one of them is going to turn into a huge fluffy love ball! Keep us updated on their growth..cant wait to see pics![​IMG]

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Silkies got me - I am a lost cause - Welcome to BYC and the
    Wonderful World of Silkies.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Congratulations......They are soooo cute [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Beautiful little ones you got there. Congrats and Enjoy! Silkies are awesome.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by