1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Silkie chick has lump protruding from center of skull. What is it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantyshanty, Dec 10, 2009.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    This new hatch has another abnormal chick. I have 3 buff silkie eggs. The first one pipped & zipped & came out normally. Within half hour of hatching, she had a swelling about 3-4m puff up in the center --crown-- of her skull.

She's tired but tries to stand. Se walks a little, cheaps, looks at my led flashlight.
    My guesses:

Her skull did not close properly during development.
    She has hydroencephaly due to abnormal development or humidity conditions, or due to position in egg.
    She has something wrong genetically.
    She got a concussion coming out of the egg by hitting her head on another egg, but open "fontanel" is normal in silkies. (I'm hoping...)

I'm imagining the whole thing because I stayed up too late worrying about the last hatch's failures last night.

These eggs are in a carton, cut to form one row.

Could she heal? Has anyone else seen this??????

Help!

Thanks!

2. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Many silkies have vaulted skulls. If she walks and acts normally, nothing to worry about................

3. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

sounds like some freaky stuff.. I am so glad I have some gas in my truck and some butter on my biscuit.

4. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the response. Her lump is not a high arch to her skull. It's actually a soft fleshy lump. Like in old cartoons, when someone gets hit on the head, and a lump rises up.
    Does anyone think a concussion during hatch? As opposed to brain abnormality? She is normal in behaviour, is still in the 'bator, and walks around a little, rests, sleeps.

5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Im not an expert when it comes to silkie chicks but... dont they usually have a little fleshy bump on their head when born? Cause' silkies do have bumps on their heads when adults [​IMG]
    I have heard of chicks having weird abnormal things on their skulls when born.. best of luck!
    ~Bri

6. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Breeds with large crests, like silkies and polish, have a hole in their skull. Some more so than others. It will feel kind of squishy, just don't push too hard. These breeds are more susceptible to brain injuries, so keep that in mind. Some can even be born with their brains on the outside if the hole is large enough. If your little one is acting normally, it should be fine.
    I had a silkie hatch last month that had a very pronounced vaulted skull, looked like she was hit on the head as well, like you described. It was a lot larger than my previous hatches, and was more obvious before she dried off, now she has a cute little puffy head.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks so much, Americana-chick & Chicken Chat, for the reassurance. This is my first chick of 14 to hatch this way, but yes, she does act quite normal & smart. She pecks & scratches already. She's very calm & assured. I have put her in with the quietest chick and none of the rough chicks in a dog carrier padded with a quilt under paper towels, and she seems quite happy.

She's one of 10 chicks, and 3 have omphalitis. I should be glad she just has a lump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by