New silkie chick with pasty butt!

HeatherMarieR

Chirping
Feb 27, 2015
Somerville, AL
Hi y'all! I just bought 3 silkie chicks from Tractor Supply. One of them has a really bad case of pasty butt that I didn't notice until I got them home. I got it cleaned up, and it pooped once afterwards, but it still doesn't look very good. I put it in a separate brood box from the other chicks because they were picking on it, and added probiotics and electrolytes to its water. Is there anything else I can do to help it, or is it just a wait and see game now? It isn't very happy being by itself and is chirping up a storm, but I'm afraid to leave it in with the other chicks.

Last edited:
You're doing all you can. You could put some blu-kote on it but it will be ok separated for a day or 2.
Probiotics and a steady temperature is the best method. Just keep cleaning it off. I jut use a little vinegar on a soft cloth.
Since I started using probiotics in the chicks first water, I haven't had pasty butt.

I use this.

http://www.gro2max.com/

Thanks! It's eating and drinking so I'm hopeful. I use Probios, and their food also has probiotics and prebiotics in it. I've had much better luck with my chicks this year than I did last year. I've been wanting Silkies for a while so I really hope I don't lose this one.

Back
Top Bottom