1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New silkie chick.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pugspigchicks, Apr 3, 2017.

1. pugspigchicks

pugspigchicks New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Austin
    I'm new to owning chickens. I brought home a new Silkie that was 2-3 weeks old yesterday. It did some kind of weird seizure like movement and went limp and I thought she was dead. She overall recovered. She was still wobbly but after electrolytes she was eating on her own and walking and alert. She seemed much better today on a few checks. Then this evening she was walking backwards and sideways and definitely imbalanced. Falls towards the side. Still chirping and responsive. Eats some on her own. Drinking when forced. Mostly staying on the side of the container. I have a video. The Breeder suggested Wry neck but it doesn't look like that to me. Wondering if Vit E deficiency? I went And picked up infant vitamin drops. I'm a nurse and it appears neurological but my question is can she recover? I don't want her to suffer. It is weird that her symptoms go back and forth. My other chicks seem fine. Thoughts?? Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kanas, pugspigchicks, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Looks like CTKen gave you a great link to post in - hope the ER folks give you some good advice. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pugspigchicks [​IMG] Welcome!

Silkies often have a vaulted skull which means that a knock or peck to the head can kill them instantly or cause neurological issues. This is an interesting article on the subject: http://chickenjunkie.com/chicken-breeds/silkie-chicken/vaulted-skulls/vaulted-skulls-in-silkies/

You might also want to pop in to the Silkie Thread and say hello: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

I hope your little one is OK.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I knew it would be a silkie. They are very prone to damage from a bump or peck to the head, especially if they have vaulted skulls. If she has swelling around the brain, sometimes vets will prescribe a course of prednisone. Otherwise if it were wry neck they eventually recover with good food, some supplements like Polyisol for infants (no IRON) etc. and even gentle message to coax the neck the way it belongd.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some good links, hope you find the answers you need.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by