New Silkie Chicken daddy !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chuckfriedrice, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Chuckfriedrice

Chuckfriedrice Out Of The Brooder

Hello All !

I originally visited the site , because I wanted to start a new duck pond when I bought my house , well thats taking longer than I planned but I was at a pet store and they had a polish chick and I got chicken fever! I did some general research then I hit craigslist. I wanted something a little different around here everyone has Goldens, RI Reds and LegHorns . I found a gentleman that had Silkie chicks I looked them up and Loved the way they looked so I bought my supplies and went to get them . 1 chick is a few days old ( I love his look already! ) the other 2 ( the twins I call them ) were newborns . I have them in a rubbermaid bin with a 75w infared heat light , paper towels for the bedding ( suggested by the breeder at first ) thermometer, meddicated begginer grow feed . Placed the bin in a dog kennel for there protection , I have 2 Huskies, a jack Russel and 2 cats. I also have towels around the font of the kennel to keep some of the ac air from blowing on them . Ive been keeping them around 90 degrees for now , Ive read every week to lower it . I am also building a chicken coop , I know in the next few weeks they will need to come out of the house . Any advice will be absorbed and greatly appreacated Any suggestions please feel free to let me know .

Chuck

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    :welcome Chuck from Oklahoma!

Nate

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yay! Welcome. LOVE silkies.

Make sure the birds have enough space to get away from the light in case they get too hot. Good luck!

4. Chuckfriedrice

Chuckfriedrice Out Of The Brooder

Yes ,They are cool and the breeder said They are "show" quality. I have no Idea with that ,but thank you!

5. dam danny

dam danny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    sylvester georgia
    is the light red if it is white thay may start pecking each other thay do make heat lamps that are white also change the paper to saw dust after a few days make sure it`s not to small thay will try to eat it youcan find some beding at the feed store that is recamended thir is also some meds that newchicks need that you can find at the feed store some of the big store like trackter supply will not ve sales people that will know what you need look for a feed and seed store thay will point you in the rightway an good luck and you are right about lowering the heat 5 degrees a week tell you get them down to 65 to 60

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Chuck, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! Best of luck to you and your chicken fever!!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by