New Silkie Color...?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Silkie Enthusiast, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Silkie Enthusiast

Silkie Enthusiast Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    I was wondering if it would be possible to create a new color of silkie by crossing certain colors and creating a gene pool of this certain color. I would really enjoy it if you guys here at BYC would help me come up with a new color. Here's the ones I've got so far:

Blue x Partridge = ???
    Blue x Buff= lightened up buff if any
    Blue x Lavender = ???
    Blue x Red = Purple? [​IMG]
    Blue x Gray = ???
    Blue x Porcelain = ???
    Blue x Cuckoo = Sex-Link chicks
    Blue x White
    Blue x Black

Those are the ones I got; I only have blue silksters right now, and I'm hoping to get different colors sooner or later. Silly daddy won't get me any more. [​IMG] What mixes can you come up with?

-The Silkster

The Black Crosses:

Black x partridge
    black x buff
    black x lavender
    black x red
    black x grey
    black x porcelain
    black x cuckoo
    black x white
    black x blue

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I will try to answer all your color crosses
    Blue Partridge
    I have seen birds that come out Blue and Buff
    ?
    [​IMG]
    Blue Silver Partridge
    Blue Porcelain
    Blue Cuckoo

3. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I'm interested in this too.

I was thinking of getting some red and partridge and breeding and seeing if I can get some spicy cinnamon colored silkies. Silkies are my favorite chicken, what got me started in the first place so I'd be interested in starting some color combinations (you've got me intruiged by that BluexRed) but now I want to try that BluexGray too!

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    The blue x cuckoo will be sex links, If you use a cuckoo roo and blue hen the girls will be blue and the boys will be cuckoo [​IMG]

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Blue x Lavender will give you blue or black.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The blue x buff is supposed to lighten up any black in the buffs, but I remember somebody did this last year and ended up with all mixed colored chicks.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:I did this at one time and you do not always get buff. Thats exactly why I did it to clear up black in the buff and did not get one buff chick, all I got was blue, which I did not want. I heard you can get buff, but I never did.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I did this at one time and you do not always get buff. Thats exactly why I did it to clear up black in the buff and did not get one buff chick, all I got was blue, which I did not want. I heard you can get buff, but I never did.

I think you were the one I was thinking of. [​IMG]

9. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote:I actually think it's the other way around... a cuckoo hen bred to a solid roo will produce sex-linked chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by