1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Silkie Coop in the Works *Pic* Huh... It's pink!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KinderKorner, Sep 15, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am buying some amazing silkies from George this fall. So to prepare I am building a lovely little silkie condo for my new birdies.

While cruising through town, I passed by the construction place and found a big sheet of wood with a frame that had skids in the free pile. So I shoved the thing in the trunk of my Chevy Cobalt. With it sticking 5 feet out of the back I drove it home. [​IMG]

It looked like just the thing I was looking for. I beat off the skids. And added 2ft legs. Now it needed to be painted. I wanted tan with navy blue trim. But family didn't like the idea of buying expensive paint. So I went to walmart and looked in the returned colors that were cheap. And low behold the only choice is baby-poop yellow, or pink. [​IMG]

Pink it is. I bought some white and mixed it in hoping to dull down the pink. It worked slightly.

So now I have a platform that is 7' 1" x 2' 9". On 2ft legs. That is painted pink.

[​IMG]

Here it is. Ezra and Elaine wanted to be in the Photo too.

I am going to divide it in half, and add a run that is hardware cloth that is 3" off the ground so grass can grow up, but the silkies stay clean. Also the food and water will be hanging under the coop.

Now I have a problem. I haven't decided how to build the frame for the walls. They are only going to be 2ft. But we are having trouble figuring out how to attach 2X4's over the frame it already has. I may jsut end up making a new frame along the outside and working up from there. Any ideas?

I plan on using some old barn wood I got as siding. And staining it with some left over stain from the shed. Then it will match the other new coop we are building. And it beats having to paint it pink., and it sticking out like a sore thumb. But the inside, and frame and everything is going to be a nice cheery girly color. [​IMG]

2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I like comments, ideas, and suggestions on things that make little coops better.

I am going to keep working on the coop, hopefully tomorrow. And I will get pictures as I go along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by