New Silkie Hen Crying??? I'm a Chicken Newbie...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fruggiechick, Mar 18, 2013.

1. fruggiechick

fruggiechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    South Texas
    Yesterday we brought home 2 RIR Hens and a Partridge Silkie Hen....the RIR seem fine in there temp enclosure....but the Silkie wont stop crying...Are the big girls picking on her? I watched them for about an hour and no one seemed to be misbehaving....she can get to the water and the food with no issue...she kept trying to roost on the high roost and I made a smaller one for her and she sat on it for a while now she wont stop her crying....she sounds so pathetic....she was in a very small coop with about 5 or 6 other hens when I picked her up yesterday....it seemed really really crowded in there....maybe she misses them....also there was an small light brown egg layed this morning....it could be hers? Do they cry when you take their eggs away.?

Please forgive me these are my first chickens....we have lots of other animals just never had chickens before...I don't want to be anything but a good chicken momma [​IMG]

2. 1) She misses one of her friends back from where she used to live. My one hen (fluffy) got sick and I had to take her inside, so her friend who is always with her (Angel) was looking aimlessly for her. Two days later I found her dead one morning... Then my other Hen (Grumpy) Started to cry and sound Really weird like she was depressed and stressed. She is still alive today and she hasn't really stopped but its been more than a month now... She could miss a friend she stuck to.
    2) She could be wanting privacy to lay her egg. My one hen does that. A hen will do that until the other hen gets out of the coop...
    3) She probably wants attention, you're Attention. My head hen (Lulu) Does that. She will do it all day until I hold her on my lap and pet her for a while.
    4)Since you just got her, she is probably Having a hard time adapting to her new environment.

That's all I know. I hope this helps!

3. fruggiechick

fruggiechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    South Texas
    Thanks a bunch....she stopped crying for a little bit and then I had to run out...All evening she was good and then when I went around to water the plants she started crying again....I went over to the coop and moved some stuff around and she was fine....I think she likes the water to be completely clean...the RIRs get the water all mucked up...I have a larger waterer I'm gong to put in with them tomorrow....She really likes when my husband talks to her...I think its because she was raised by men.

I also think she also does not like being smaller than the RIRs they are all in a temp area and moving to a larger 4x8 pen for the next few weeks until the main chicken area is complete....they are not mean to her but they seem to antagonize her....she was try to roost on the smaller perch and the two big girls went up right where she was trying to go....She was so annoyed and kept trying to get to the higher perch and I finally just made them all the same level....she eventually busted her way into the middle of the other two and fluffed up like she was claiming her space...the other 2 moved it was so funny!!!

I think she will be fine in a few days....thanks for the help!!!

4. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    You might have to go back and find her BFF and purchase her, too. Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by