1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New silkie lover!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CarrboroMidwife, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CarrboroMidwife

CarrboroMidwife New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi all..

I am a newbie silkie mommy and I am seeking any and all advice on below ..

1. How cold can it get for them to be TOO cold?

I live in the triangle area of NC, we are having a cold snap and its getting down to 20 or so at night. I let them free-range during day when I'm home. Penned-up when I'm at work and in a henhouse ( no draft, plenty of shavings with laying boxes ay night).

2. When can I expect them to go broody? We just found out our roo was a Fernando ( not Freida [​IMG]

The girls are about 7 months old, Fernando is a month younger.
    Can I expect chicks over the winter months?

3. What is the BEST food to feed these little ones in the winter? I give them pellets. Cracked corn and two scratch as a treat every day.

Ok...I'll think of more but that is it for now [​IMG]

2. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    First [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Texas.
    I'm new to raising Silkies also. Ours are still young, so I'm not much help. Others will pop in and help with your ???'s

Nice to meet you,

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    1. I have silkies in Maine without added heat and no problems. Silkies are better suited for cold than extreme heat.

2. One hen may be broody nearly her whole life, while another never gets broody. This can't be answered. Are they currently laying?

3. What your feeding sounds fine. You could always add in some scrambled egg if you want (shell and all), it's good for them. Also, do you give them grit or oyster shells? If not, you should have that available for them.

4. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Shoot, WELCOME to BYC... Forgot to say HI!

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    My youngsters have a heat lamp.
    If you have white silkies the corn will turn the feathers yellow, If they are just pets this is not a big deal, if you want to show them cut the corn.

6. kleeo12

kleeo12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    I have Silkies and I did not know that about the corn....very good info- thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by