New silkie mama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dknichelson, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Dknichelson

Dknichelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi all! I'm very new to raising chickens, but have already found myself obsessed, er, in love with my silkie girls! They're friendly, inquisitive and hilarious to watch. A friend offered to give us a pair, so my husband built a coop and they came home. But, we've noticed that they do not take advantage of the second story condo ;) and after reading some, I've found that a lot of silkies will build their nests on the ground. Is there anyway to encourage them to get in their nest box or is it something they will either do or not do?

I know with Silkies you have to worry about drafts and the nest box is much more cozy, but they seem perfectly content under their house with a little extra hay.

Also, when do Silkies start to lay eggs? The smaller of the 2 is about 2 months old and supposedly a female, although I have my doubts and I'm guessing the bigger is around 5-6 months and also a female. We originally had a rooster, who took a liking to the bigger girl, but we couldn't keep him because he was a very enthusiastic crower. He was certainly sweet though!
    Here are a few pics of the girls and their coop! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]
    Lovely Silkies!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You could try blocking off the area below your coop until they started going inside to lay their eggs. Silkies are rather notorious for not laying very early, so you may not see eggs until spring when the days get longer.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Nice birds! You can use fake eggs, ceramic or wooden eggs, inside the nest box to encourage laying there. Fake eggs also help to stop them from playing with the real ones, thus breaking and eating the eggs. They will mess with the fake ones at first and when the real ones start coming, the birds are less likely to damage or mess with them,

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

5. Dknichelson

Dknichelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014

Yeah, I was thinking of trying to block it off. Is there any disadvantage of them nesting on the ground? If they're content should we just leave them be?

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 Silkies tend to be pretty late layers, 9-10 months is not unusual. You could post pictures of your chicks on the What Breed Or Gender Is This forum and the long Silkie thread for help with figuring out if they are female https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread
    The main things about them nesting/sleeping on the ground is the weather, if it rains etc and the ground gets cold and wet. Also predator proofing needs to be really good if you are not locking them in a coop at night, probably should replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth and make sure digging animals are blocked out.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012