1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW SILKIE NOT LEAVING AN EMPTY NEST...HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fluff ball, Sep 18, 2012.

1. fluff ball

fluff ball New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Hello,
    We brought home a 1 yr old Silky, and 7 wk old Banty which we introduced to our 4 Muskovi Ducks, 2 brown chickens and one 10 wk old Banty. They all share the barn with 2 horses and have the freedom of the property. Problem now with the new Banty...she was laying eggs and always outside with everyone until a few weeks ago a dog killed the new Banty, since then she does not perch or go outside anymore. She has a little nest hidden away and we have to pick her up and take her out, but she stays outside for only 10 min. and she is right back in her little spot. Now I am worried and wonder if I should take her back to her old environment and why has she stopped laying eggs, and could it be that the brown chickens pick on her too much.....please, if anyone has any idea of what could be happening, I would be so thankful, I do not want her here if she is miserable, or could it be a stuck egg?????

Thanks again to anyone that can help me........

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Could she just be broody?

When hens go broody they stay in their nest day and night and stop laying eggs. They will rarely leave the nest to eat or drink and will usually lose some of the feathers on their chest/belly. This is normal behavior and some breeds are more broody than other. My bantum cochin is broody a lot. It is just a natural instinct to mother.

If you think she is broody I would put a little water by her nest and just leave her be. She will start laying again when she is done.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. fluff ball

fluff ball New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Thank you for answering me, I know nothing about brooding, and am I wrong to keep taking her outside? Also, how long does this behavior last? She is just so darn cute and it makes me sad not to see her travel around the property with the other ducks and chickens, I was worried that perhaps this breed of chicken did not mix well with others, and at least I now know it is not an egg stuck. I will have to look up brooding.
    Again, thank you so much, I feel a little better

Jane

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Silkies are known to be a bit broody but they are also really good moms and kind birds. You don't need to take her outside or move her as long as her nest is in a safe spot. I would set some food and water by her and she will eat and feed when needed. It usually lasts a few weeks.

There are some threads on here about how to "break" the behavior and get her to stop which I believe involves keeping her in a wire bottom cage so she can't nest.

When mine is broody I just leave her alone and let her do her natural thing. She always starts laying again about a week after she is done.

5. fluff ball

fluff ball New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks again,
    I am going to assume it is ok to take her out then, as she does peck around and goes to the ducks pool to drink then runs back to her nest. I will now look up brooding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by