New Silkie Owner here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nattymc3, Apr 13, 2017.

1. nattymc3

nattymc3 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Las Vegas
    A friend of mine told me about this site! I'm so excited to learn all that I need to know about chickens!! We just bought 4 bearded silkies 2 days ago from Amber Waves in CA. Drove out to get them, they're only 4 weeks old. I was really surprised that I couldn't find any local breeders. I'm hoping to have some more little peeps in the future. Hello to everyone, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions answered. :)

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Hello nattyme3! [​IMG] Just so you know, silkies are not known to lay many eggs. They are good for hatching eggs, but not for egg production. I'm sure you will love your silkies, but if you want to use your eggs only, you may want to get more chickens, perhaps a not-so-broody breed. With silkies, you will most likely have to stop them from sitting on their eggs if you don't want 100 chicks by the next month. [​IMG]Good luck!

3. nattymc3

nattymc3 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Yes, I've heard that they don't lay many. We really got them more as pets, but if I can get additional chicks from them that would be a bonus! Thank you for the welcome [​IMG]

4. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    No problem! Just keep in mind you will need a rooster to get chicks, so if one doesn't start jumping on the other chickens you probably don't have a rooster. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. nattymc3

nattymc3 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Las Vegas
    I bought 4 DNA tested...3 hens and 1 rooster. They're just little fluff balls now. I was so disgusted with the wing bands though! I'm sure this is a common practice, however it made my heart hurt. I removed them but one was already stuck to the poor chick's skin!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under nattymc3 [​IMG] Welcome!

You might be interested in joining in on the Silkie Thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

This is a link to find your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. nattymc3

nattymc3 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Thanks so much! I'll check out the thread for sure!!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There are other silkie threads as well: "buff silkies," "Paint silkies," "Nothing but Partridge Silkies," and probably more by now. Did you also know there is a variety of silkie called "Showgirls" and yes there is a thread for that also. They have fully, or partially naked necks., and come in regular silkie colors.

9. nattymc3

nattymc3 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Las Vegas
    That's funny! I can't believe how many varieties there are! I have 2 white, 1 black and 1 paint.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and welcome to BYC! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by