New Silkie Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryQueen29, Oct 2, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just got 3 silkie chicks and they are now 4 months old. I think one is a rooster so I am giving it back to the breeder. I am interested in getting one or two partridge silkie chicks from someone but in the end I can only keep one. I've heard that when raising them, I would have to have at least two of the same age group so they don't get lonely. Would I have to get two to raise and then give one away or could I just get one? I can't have a rooster anyway so if I got two and one was a rooster I would have to give it away anyway. Also, could I put a silkie of a different age but same size in with my older silkies or do they have to be the same age? Do I have to wait and get a grown hen the same age as mine for them to get along?

I'm a first time silkie owner if you couldn't tell already so I need help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would recommend quarantine them for a week to prevent spread of disease if you're wanting to put them in with a hen. If you want to give the rooster away there's a better chance that he can find a good home

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I mostly want to know if you can mix ages with silkies. I've heard you can't but if they are the same size does it matter?

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

After quarantine, you can keep them side by side for a while with a wire divider. They should be fine together after a couple of weeks. Silkies are very docile.

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mixed ages shouldn't be a problem unless they are newly hatched or very, very young.

7. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks a lot! It really helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by