New silkie twitching, not very active, light crust eyelid

tannsyim

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hi there.
I just took home a silkie ( guessing around 14 weeks they said 12-16). She seemed fine when I picked her up put in box and brought home. Once home opened box and she seemed to have this twitching ish. She would always swing her head to the right. Not to pick at her wing but almost to rub her ear or head. I checked for mites lice and all but I’m really not good at that. Is it safe to treat for that even she doesn’t have them Incase I just didn’t notice them? She does this quite often always on the right I’ve only seen left side a handful.I let her run around in the backyard but she doesn’t really move. She ate and drank when I put the bowls infront of her. She ate a lot. Her poop was runny at first but then the last ones have all been of an okay consistency ( by okay similar to my older birds who I suspect are healthy). She has crust on her right eye only. When I wake her she slowly opens that right eye but then it’s fine. I saw her yesterday gasp ( I think) for air. ( we drove 5 hours to get to my home where she is not in a bog dog cage in quarantine) She would look down open her mouth and then stretch her neck out upwards ( like a baby bird wanting to be fed almost). She was panting when we got her because she was hot but once inside that stopped completely just the ( gasping randomly continued everyone 1-2 minutes) I’m not sure what to do as I don’t think it’s wry neck since she’s balance doesn’t fall over and is still straight but I could always feed her more nuts? I have no idea what she ate or anything before. What do you guys think please help. I’d love to make her a remedy of some sort to help or is this a antibiotic find a vet thing?

Attachments

• 047BE1C4-C092-4745-BE97-64D40D304D99.jpeg
    047BE1C4-C092-4745-BE97-64D40D304D99.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 9
  • E8607288-AFE6-4268-9A7C-E7D621BD5746.jpeg
    E8607288-AFE6-4268-9A7C-E7D621BD5746.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 6
  • E7F06E89-32C4-40AF-A9F0-0FBEDD1F8BCF.jpeg
    E7F06E89-32C4-40AF-A9F0-0FBEDD1F8BCF.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 6
  • F5C1A75D-D383-4E13-8977-AA0475BFF7DF.jpeg
    F5C1A75D-D383-4E13-8977-AA0475BFF7DF.jpeg
    991.4 KB · Views: 6
I also listented to her this morning and I think I heard her being stuffy. Not sure if it’s me trying to find things but as I put her bowl there and she ate I was hearing some time of stuffiness I think. Is this contagious if I touch her and wash my hands then go outside to see my other birds. I wouldn’t want anything happening to my flock outside. Sounds really dumb, but I am quite worried. Thanks for your help.

There's a wild bird virus or something (they don't know what it is exactly) impacting us here in the US in some states right now. . The symptoms in wild birds are neurological symptoms and crusty eyes, sometimes blindness. They're worried it might become a problem with poultry flocks. Definitely keep her quantined and wash up after handling her. Maybe try some vitamins like Rooster Booster B & K. It's hard to say because the symptoms are a little vague, but neurological symptoms are never good. You could try washing the eye with warm saline and applying some triple antibiotic ointment around the eye(the kind witout painkiller), or if you have veterinary antibiotic eye drops they are great too. If you have access to a vet for her, I think if she were mine I might be thinking about doing that. Also you could try contacting whoever you got her from and ask some serious questions about their flock and if they have had any problems like what you are encountering.

Last edited:
Hi there.
I just took home a silkie ( guessing around 14 weeks they said 12-16). She seemed fine when I picked her up put in box and brought home. Once home opened box and she seemed to have this twitching ish. She would always swing her head to the right. Not to pick at her wing but almost to rub her ear or head. I checked for mites lice and all but I’m really not good at that. Is it safe to treat for that even she doesn’t have them Incase I just didn’t notice them? She does this quite often always on the right I’ve only seen left side a handful.I let her run around in the backyard but she doesn’t really move. She ate and drank when I put the bowls infront of her. She ate a lot. Her poop was runny at first but then the last ones have all been of an okay consistency ( by okay similar to my older birds who I suspect are healthy). She has crust on her right eye only. When I wake her she slowly opens that right eye but then it’s fine. I saw her yesterday gasp ( I think) for air. ( we drove 5 hours to get to my home where she is not in a bog dog cage in quarantine) She would look down open her mouth and then stretch her neck out upwards ( like a baby bird wanting to be fed almost). She was panting when we got her because she was hot but once inside that stopped completely just the ( gasping randomly continued everyone 1-2 minutes) I’m not sure what to do as I don’t think it’s wry neck since she’s balance doesn’t fall over and is still straight but I could always feed her more nuts? I have no idea what she ate or anything before. What do you guys think please help. I’d love to make her a remedy of some sort to help or is this a antibiotic find a vet thing?
Am I ask where you got her from? Only bc 2 weeks ago I got 2 new chickens from a farm in NJ and same sorta thing happened went to the vet $300 later after a $250 vet bill pmus elector. And vet rx and ivermectin. Lost one I don’t know why people sell sick birds when they can infect our flocks at home how horrible right?

Back
Top Bottom