New Silkies 12 weeks old

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zivaC, Jan 31, 2015.

1. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I've bought 2 new silkies at 12 weeks of age and they are the cutest little fluff-balls I have ever seen! Anyways I already have a few other chickens whom I have kept separate, and these chickens are all very tame and they all love me and let me carry them and follow me around.
    My question here is- how do I train my silkies to be like that with me? I only just bought then yesterday and they are pretty nervous. They want to run away when I try to pick them up! I assume this is normal at their age and not having been raised by me when they were chicks. But how do I get them to get used to me? What's the best way to do it?

Any suggestions would be great as I really want to bond with them. Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Treats are the best thing! If you are thinking they won't get the treats before the others do, you can take them off in the yard by themselves and sit there with them. My kids used to do that with our silkies.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Oh thank you that's a great idea! How could I have not thought of that haha. The best way to a chook's heart is through its stomach :p thanks for the suggestion !
    In order to re-home them however, how long do I need to keep them locked up in the coupe before I can let them be free to roam the garden?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It depends on whether you are quarantining them.

If not quarantining then what I do is just go out and check to make sure everyone got back in the coop for the night, to ensure everyone knows where to sleep. I check for a few days (we have auto. door opener).

5. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    @ChickensAreSweet thank you kindly for your advice! Yes I am quarantining them for a few days before I let them roam the garden, but I will definitely do as you suggested- I will let them roam free and check on them at the end of the day. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by