New Silkies in Quarantine

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Flufflball, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Flufflball

Flufflball New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi everyone!

I got my first chickens a week ago, four hens. One's a Rhode Island Red, two are Barred Rocks, and one is an Easter Egger. They all live in a coop in my backyard with no run (I let them free range when I'm at home and chase them back in the coop with relative ease). I live in SW Ohio, and the weather is all over the place. My in-coop thermometer shows me that it's near 32F in the coop at night.
    My question is this: I'm about to get 2 more chickens, a silkie roo and a silkie hen. I know I'm supposed to quarantine them, the only place I can do so is my garage and I'm not sure if the temp difference is going to be too big once the quarantine is over and they're in the coop. Should I maybe keep all my chickens in the garage for especially cold nights? I don't plan on adding any extra heat to the coop except for a waterer heater so there's no ice. [​IMG] Thank you :)

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

You should keep them in the garage. Quarantining is very important, with adult birds especially. The temperature change will not be too big of a deal if you introduce them to it gradually. Take them out for longer periods every day to get them used to the cold, and the other chickens used to them.

3. Flufflball

Flufflball New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Thank you very much, Free Feather! I'll do exactly that. I think I'll quarantine them for a week and a half-- I'm going on a poorly-timed, 3-day trip about a week after getting them, and I'll start the introductions after I return. Until then I'm having someone care for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by