New Silkies, lost one worried about another HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjaazzy, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    First post here, love the site so much information delivered the way I can learn a ton. Thank you all!
    Wed night I purchased 6 Silkie babies some were 2 or 3 days old and some were as much as a week. First trip to the feed store to pick up supplies I was sold fine shavings - didn't know any better - found blood in the box the next morning quickly fixed that and now were using the wide pine shavings. That problem is much better but I do still see a few spots of blood but not the red mess I found on Friday morning, I guess the first mistake is making it way through them still. All the birds were doing very well, very spry and healthy looking till last night my little black silkie started acting drunk. I tried to get him to eat and drink. He did some but just kept wobbling around and then going to sleep. I had a feeling he would not make it. That was 1am and by 5am he was gone. So now I am watching the others very close. All were looking good till just now 4pm and one little yellow guy is looking sleepy. Yikes. I see them pecking at stuff looking for something other then the medicated starter feed. So I just put in a sprouted carrot top and they peck at it but they are really not eating it. I pulled some fresh parsley out of the garden they really didn't want that at all. Then I heard about yogurt so I had some Greek yogurt put some on a spoon they don't seem to want it either. What should I do I don't want to sit here and watch another one slip away. Should I put a little sugar water in a tiny syringe and put some drops in the little yellow guys beak? Would love some help.

2. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    When you say blood - is it bloody poo? That would mean they need to be put on Corrid immediately for coccidiosis. You can find it at your feed store - I found mine in the cattle section. You have to take them off medicated feed, and corrid is put into their water. I would even eyedropper administer it at first to get them a head start. Treat everyone. 1/8 tsp per 4 cups of water.

If you search coccidiosis in chicks you will see a lot of discussion and help. So sorry you are going through this - I lost a silkie chick last week and tried everything. It is heartbreaking! Don't give up!

3. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks fisherman, well it was bright red and quite a bit of it (not a blood bath but startling just the same) but I think it was only one of them (probably the oldest of the group who was trying to eat more things then chick feed) Now I only see bits of red mixed with poop. My understanding was that corrid only comes on after 2 weeks and exposure to dirt. Am I wrong? I just went into the room and all the Chickie's look good. even the one I was worried about maybe she just needed a nap! I took the yogurt out they stepped all in it and I don't know if they ate it or not. I am going to pull my living carrot top cause they don't seem interested in it as well. Someone else told me they should not be eating medicated feed. The breeder told me to use that....... now I don't know what to do.
    Thanks you so much for taking the time to try and help me. I am watching closely. Sorry you lost your little guy........ so sad.

4. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Sounds like they are doing better. I read a lot conflicting info on age and time they can get cocci. wet bedding combined with the heat lamp can multiply it very fast. Medicated feed is fine unless you are giving them corrid. Then you want non medicated feed. It is so hard when they can't tell you where it hurts! Hopefully the scare is over and you can just enjoy them!

5. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks, Ok now I am worried about the damp shavings... I am constantly washing out their little bowl of water with marbles in it cause it gets a shaving or two in it. Every time I go to put it back in I spill a little. How often are you changing out your bedding and do you do a complete swap or sprinkle on new on top. I just put fresh in yesterday but I see poop, how long should I go. Oh they are so cute, I'm going to go find some Easter baskets and try and put them in with a little grass and take some pictures. Not today, I want to make sure they are all ok.

6. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I scoop out the damp shavings, and put dry over the rest. It is an endless job! I elevated my water dish a bit, and put it on a piece of cardboard to help keep the shavings out. Not perfect - but better. Mine are 3 weeks old and I still change the water 3 or 4 times a day! I swear, the minute I put it in the brooder someone mistakes it for a toilet!! If they weren't so darn cute I would give up!!

The great thing about the shavings is it does dry out the poo very quickly! That is a good thing!

so much to worry about! [​IMG]

7. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Ohhhh, cardboard under water bowl, that's terrific! Thanks! Your right they are so cute, I want to kiss them, but that must be really scary for the chicken so I try to contain my enthusiasm[​IMG]

8. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I see in your picture you got white, I wanted white but he didn't have any now. I got 1 black, 1blue 2 bar trudge one color he said he has never seen, and a buff color. I think it was the black that died, they both looked pretty much the same. Still feel bad about that one. [​IMG]

9. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    the first shavings what type of wood were they???

10. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Hi tristancoli The bag says kiln dried pine.
    Well bad news to report, I lost the one that I was worried about yesterday, found him this morning. I am really surprised cause he was looking better the whole day, thought I was over reacting. I did wash off his rear at the end of the day it had Poo stuck to him, and maybe he got too chilled last night even though he was under the light and I put the heating pad on as well. Or maybe he was worse off than I thought, Everyone was eagerly eating last night and he was standing by himself and when I sent him over he didn't try and eat. Hummm this stinks....... I feel so bad. Is this normal that you just loose a percentage. I raised chickies a hundred years ago they were different type probably a hardier breed picked up at a feed store and I didn't know any better I got them took them to the ranch put them in the feed room with food and water and they grew. No lights no nothing. I don't think it was cold out tho. Ugggh how sad. Well I hope the rest are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by