new Silkies....maybe......I hope....couple of questions.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by navasima, Aug 18, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hey There! I'm going to look at some Splash Silkies on Sat. (-so excited-). I'm told that there are new hatchlings (2-3 days old) and some 2 month olds. My current little flock are : 3 standard hens and 2 bantams - all about 5 -6 weeks old. So..... I was thinking that the 8 week olds would mix with my littles. The days old babies, of course, would have to be in a seperate brooder for a bit, but maybe join the flock when they're older? The other thing that I wondered...Must I separate the bantams from the standard size girls when they get a bit older? Looking forward to guidance from y'all! Thanks!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] I raised Serama bantams with my large fowl laying hens. I put them together when the layers were just a little smaller than the Seramas (about 8 weeks old). They all got along pretty well. That said, I introduce 2 silkies (3 months old) to the layers and they beat the crap out of them. Full integration took a while. Your best bet will be to put all the bantams together to bond and then put the whole group of bantams in with the large fowl. If the standards are raised with bantams it should be fine. I had trouble because I got rid of all my bantams and introduced 2 different ones. It's also better if there are at least as many bantams as standards. The main idea with integration is similar size, age isn't all that important.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    [​IMG]

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thank you for your help! Okay...fingers crossed......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by