NEW SILKIES! *Pics* Surprise Ending!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KinderKorner, Oct 23, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alright so I go 4 silkies from Shari at Harvest Breeze Farms. They were a day late in the mail.

A white pair and a young blue pair.

Here is a picture of the white rooster she sent me. He is a year old.

[​IMG]

He is so much prettier in person. And his tail is so fluffy it is crazy.

I didn't think the white hen was going to make it but she is doing better now.

I put them in the temporary pen. And when inside to make them some food. When I came out they were all covered in ORANGE and pecking around! [​IMG]

Darn it I was about to take pictures.

So the little blue rooster turns around and he has an egg shell stuck to his face!

The little white silkie hen laid an egg, and they ate it! All within about 5 minutes.

That was my first silkie egg ever! She is only a pullet. I don't think Shari knew she was laying. So it was her first egg too! [​IMG]

It's crazy. I'm so excited that she is laying. She is not even 5 months old yet! Is that even possible. I didn't know it was. Can't wait until I get some fertile eggs and start popping out babies!

I also have a white trio that i have been growing for a few months from sunshine silkies, and a splash hen.

I will go and run out and try to take some pictures.Although they are all orange know and not as fluffy so maybe not. At least I will try to get some of the other silkies I have.

What an exciting day.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    My camera just ran out of batteries. But I managed to snap a few.

Here is the two of them.

[​IMG]

Please note they were a lot fluffier. But after wetting themselves down with egg yolk. They are stained, and theirs crests are much smaller. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look how dark is comb is. He is so wonderful. [​IMG] His tail is even high than his head when he stands normally. Oh I named him Sir Lance-a- lot. All my white silkies have L names.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the culprit. Look at that sticky mess. I am still in stock. She is only 4 and 1/2 months old for crying out loud. She is sooo cute, when she isn't covered in goo.

[​IMG]
    Here is one of my pullets from sunshine silkies. She has a large crest. And she is just now 6 months old. Really pretty. Lenka
    [​IMG]
    This is the 6 month old cockeral from Sunshine Silkies. I don't think I will be keeping him. Maybe for a little while. But his wings aren't tight enough for my taste.

I also have two blues from Shari, and a white and splash pullet from Sunshine that I couldn't get pictures of before my camera died.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    [​IMG] It's Murphy's Law. Congrats on the (dirty) new additions!

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    pretty pair [​IMG]

5. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Beautiful birds. I have three silkies and they have become my favorites. I have a white Roo and two black girls. The girls each lay an egg a day and we have plenty for the weekend.

Good Luck with them!

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Congrats! Shari has awesome birds you will enjoy them and a sweeter person can't be found.

LOL on they egg yolk I just finished reading the thread on the Isabell Silkie and the comments on Pink Hair Tape to keep the feathers back from the face on the Silkies. I think you may have hit on another method, egg yolk! LOL

They are beautiful.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They are beautiful! [​IMG]

8. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    LOVE 'EM!

Congratulations.

9. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps