New Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mochicken, Nov 26, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I had four silkies hatch yesterday and today, I put them in a rubbermaid brooder and they were running around screaming so I put "Hope" in there, she is our miracle chicken from a pair of killed silkies. She took them right under her wings, literally lol she is a great foster mommy and is letting them all cuddle under her wings, super cute.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    So adorable! I have to wait till spring for babies..........seems like a long time!

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have two silkie pullets and a roo outside, the pullets had not started laying yet so my uncle gathered up 5 silkie eggs for me to get a good start on my silkies that I intend to breed and sell the babies at farmers markets next summer.

I never plan on hatching things this late but I am addicted to hatching lol

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Hurray for "Hope"! What a great hen! Silkies are such great parents. I have had hens with chicks adopt other chicks, but not when they weren't brooding their own. Hope is amazing. [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    So Pretty! [​IMG]

6. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

That is just too cute!

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Its weird because Hope is not even a month old yet and she already has that instinct, since she is the first "big" chicken the hatching chicks saw they think its mommy lol, too cute

as we speak they are all laying in their food bowl under the heat light, she has one baby on her back and 3 under her wings lol

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by