New sleeping arrangements?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrianT, Jan 30, 2011.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    When I went out to close up the birdhouse tonight, the 3 barred rocks were roosting outside the coop on a roost bar inside the run. Four other hens were roosting on the opposite side of the inclosed portion of the henhouse that they never roost on and the two other birds were in their normal location. I looked at the area where they 7 normally cram themselves together and nothing seemed out of the ordinary other than I placed hay in the spot on top of the nesting boxes instead of pine shavings. But they slept there every night since the change until now. I presumed they are creatures of habit and wouldn't change much in this regard. Someone even laid an egg there the other day so I thought maybe they liked it better. Would a change in bedding material on top of the box cause this? Thanks in advance. BT

2. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    anyone?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It certainly could, judging from mine, who get all excited when I even rearrange the bedding, never mind change the type. Sometimes you have to twist their arms a bit to get them to accept change. They sure are sensitive to any change.

4. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Quote:Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by