New Slow Cooker Creation!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Sep 9, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I was in creative mode yesterday morning, this wound up being a HUGE hit with my family last night so thought I would pass it along.

KATY'S BARLEY CORN STEW

1 can creamed style corn
    1 cup white wine
    1 sweet red bell pepper diced very small
    1 small white onion diced very small
    1.5 lb pork steak ( i think they call these loin chops in store)
    Janes crazy salt to taste
    Ground red Pepper to suit you
    1/2 tablesoon dried Thyme
    (or maybe two sprigs of fresh - I would have prefered using fresh but was out)

Slow cooker on low all day.

About an hour before serving cook 1 cup (dry measure) of barley, when done stir into pot of pork.

This made a hearty fall stew that will be remade in our house.
    Oh yes served 4 BIG appetites, would have easily done 5 or 6 smaller

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    That sounds good!

What is Janes crazy salt?
    I don't think I've seen that in the stores here in the Midwest.

I may try your recipe with just plain old salt,pepper & herbs : 9

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Katy-you know I love you right? But you lost me on the creamed corn.. [​IMG] the wine on the other hand..yeah. the rest of the ingredients sound yummy! I have terrible chilhood memories with creamed corn-maybe Ill try it with a different veggie because it sounds deeeelishhhhh!!!

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Nooo try it my way first! it really doesn't taste anything ,ike creamed corn and the texture is perfect . . . other wise cut he corn off of two fresh ears and scrape the cob for the juice, then use that . . . if you must!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Janes Crazy Mixed up Salt, it's my secret ingredient that really makes things pop just perfect. Most groceries do carry it you just have to look really hard at the seasoned salt section, the bottle is white.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Nooo try it my way first! it really doesn't taste anything ,ike creamed corn and the texture is perfect . . . other wise cut he corn off of two fresh ears and scrape the cob for the juice, then use that . . . if you must!

ok Ill take your word for it! I will try the fresh cut off corn-I was reading this and said outloud to DH Hun? Do you like creamed corn? He said NO and then DD spoke up and said mom I ve never seen it even in our house-I cooked beef strganoff crock pot style tonight and I already have a beef stew sitting in the crock for dinner tomorrow night-Ill have to try your recipe the next time and see what they say?? mau auauauauaaaaa

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My family swears they hate creamed corn . . . lol I never serve it right out of the can so they have no idea how often they really eat it, trust me they had no idea it was in there. If you are going to use fresh corn, I would throw the cobs in the stew as well while cooking, to get all of the "milk" out. Then take out right before serving.

8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:DANG!! you people are SMART!! thats a great idea... why didnt I think of that when my neighbour brought me over 12 ears on the weekend!!!!!
    Great tip! thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by