New smiley for you to enjoy:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chotii, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Yay! My Maran's eggs are getting SMALLER!?

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Why are they getting smaller?
    Maybe you're just looking at them from further away??????

3. Chotii

I don't know. I swear today's egg was the smallest yet. It rattles around in the egg carton spot, and the others haven't, although they were "medium" at best. This one was definitely 'small'. It *might* be a fart egg (I didn't crack it to see) but if it is, it's a large one.

Also, and this is weird too: the brown on the outside of her eggs appears to be applied at the last minute just before being laid, rather than being integral to the shell. The nest is full of moss; the moss sticks to the wet egg and dries there. I rub it off, and where the moss was, the color is absorbed away from the egg. Looks freaking bizarre. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Hmmmmmmm. And they get oyster shell regularly?

5. Chotii

Oh yes. They get oyster shell. They don't eat it, but they get it. And of course fortified crumbles, but yes yes.

6. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Then she must not like you. While your feeling bad about that, can you be a dear and run over to Lyndon real quick and get me a blueberry pie?

Actually, I had a chicken laying HUGE eggs, then she took a month off, and finally started laying eggs again, but they're 1/3 the size they were.

I think she doesn't like me, either.

Tell you what, I'll run over to Dateland and get you a jar of prickly pear jelly, then we can both feel awful together.

(I couldn't think of anything else made here, how sad!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by