New So. Cal Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheDonger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TheDonger

TheDonger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    If you want to see all the pictures from start to finish go to my page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=89220

Coops is 4 X 3 with 3 X 1.5 nest box. The run area is an additional 12 X 3.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Split level coop, with Nest Box on the Left & attached run on the right. Removable panels on the upper level doors. Vinyl floors (Free from my neighbor), Roost (2x4) and Poop Board (Floor & Poop board are removable for cleaning). Water tank with float valve, linked into the sprinkler system, their is also 1 sprinkler inside the run area. The 11 Gal. water tank feeds 3 nipple waters, 2 are under the coop and one just inside the run area.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nest box with storage compartment (Still needs the door attached). Feed bucket with auto feeder (I'm not sure the girls have gotten the hang if it yet) Some of the girls out enjoying the sun.

2. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Nice coop! [​IMG]

3. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    VERY NICE! [​IMG]

4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    coop looks great... where in socal are you located i live in costa mesa want to come build me one now [​IMG]

5. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Looks very nice and two levels-good idea! Painting it white should help to keep it cool. [​IMG] Your chickens will be very happy I'm sure.

6. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Real nice city coop![​IMG] I mean real nice!

7. hondo58

hondo58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Fantastic use of the existing space. What a beautiful structure.

8. TheDonger

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:We are also in Costa Mesa, and NO I do NOT want to build another Coop for a long time [​IMG] (It was a bit more work than I had thought, but in the end the extra work will be worth it in easy cleaning & Maint. etc.)

But you are welcome to come check it out sometime.... [​IMG]

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Awesome I have a water storage tank as well. I have a bit more room its thirty gallons but very much the same principal. I am in San Diego East county up in the high desert. I have calculated out that that one 30 gal tank will feed about forty chickens a week. Eventually I want to put a float valve in mine as well. Looks like you used a standard toilet float valve can you buy those separate?

edited to add [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. TheDonger

Apr 28, 2011
    perchie.girl :

Awesome I have a water storage tank as well. I have a bit more room its thirty gallons but very much the same principal. I am in San Diego East county up in the high desert. I have calculated out that that one 30 gal tank will feed about forty chickens a week. Eventually I want to put a float valve in mine as well. Looks like you used a standard toilet float valve can you buy those separate?

edited to add [​IMG]

I got this one on Amazon, just did a search for 1/2 in Float valvue, this one is Brass and the float ball and arm did not come with it, but I got them at the local HWS. My 11 Gal. Tanks should be plenty for our 5 Girls.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by